In the previous step, we have successfully deployed the first NSX-T manager for our setup. In this blog we will show the step-by-step instructions to add your Compute Manager to your NSX-T environment which is considered the second step for NSX-T Installation series.
What is a Compute Manager?
A compute manager in our case is the VMware vCenter Server which the NSX-T will connect to. It hosts centralised application that manages multiple ESXi Hosts and VMs from a single Management interface.
NSX-T contacts all the compute managers to collect all the changes, such as the addition or removal of hosts or VMs and updates its inventory accordingly.
Adding the Compute Manager:
1. Logon to the NSX-T Manager UI https:// via admin credentials.
2. Click -> System -> Fabric -> Compute Managers -> Add:
3. Specify the compute manager’s name, description, FQDN or IP, credentials and click the ADD button:
4. You will receive a warning for the thumbprint which can be ignored, click ADD:
5. The Compute Manager will start the registration and the status will be showing as “In Progress”:
6. NSX-T Manager will show a message that the “compute manager” was successfully created and you will be able to see your vCenter status showing as registered.
Add any other vCenter Servers in your environment (if needed) and confirm the “Registration” and “Connection Status” as in the above image.
Now, you have successfully of added your compute manager to the NSX-T Data Center.
As VMware recommends adding multiple NSX-T Managers to your setup, we will start deploying the additional NSX-T Managers and create the corresponding Virtual IP in the next blog of this series.